Salt and pepper squid with chipotle mayo and lime
( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Fiona Andersen
|2 tsp||Szechuan peppercorns|
|2 tsp||Coriander seeds|
|1||Cinnamon stick, broken into pieces|
|4 pieces||Star anise|
|1½ cups||Rice flour|
|2||Free-range eggs, beaten|
|2 Ltr||Canola oil, or vegetable oil|
|120 ml||Chipotle sauce|
|2 cups||Baby rocket|
Mayonnaise (makes 250ml)
- Remove the tentacles and head from the body of each squid. Cut the tentacles from the head with a knife just in front of the eyes, remove the beaks and cut the ring tentacles in half. Discard the contents from the squid tubes and rinse tubes in cold water. Learn how to prepare squid in this video.
- Slit the tubes in half and lightly score with a sharp knife, before cutting each tube into 3-4 pieces.
- Place spices on a pizza tray and roast in a hot oven until they become fragrant. Remove spices from oven and grind to a fine powder in an electric coffee grinder. Mix spices and flours together in a large bowl with a generous seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Mix the eggs with the milk in a separate bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a moderate heat until it reaches 160C. Test temperature using a heatproof thermometer. Toss the squid in the spiced flour, then in the egg mix, then back in the flour. Cook in batches for 1 minute or until lightly coloured before carefully removing with a slotted spoon and draining on absorbent kitchen towel.
- Divide squid between two plates. Mix half the chipotle sauce with the mayonnaise and place on the side of the squid. With the lime and the remaining chipotle sauce and rocket leaves. Serve immediately.
- To make the mayonnaise, place egg yolk, garlic, mustard and lemon juice into a small jug and blend with a stick bender. While blending, slowly add canola oil and then the olive oil until a thick mayonnaise is formed. Season to taste