Spring vegetable and sausage tagliatelle with lemon
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
Use whatever pasta you like, for example fettuccine, spaghetti, or pappardelle, dry or fresh. This pasta is full of baby spring vegetables, and a few sausages that go a long way with flavour.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan and brown sausages on each side, until just cooked through. Set aside to rest for a few minutes, then slice.
- While sausages are cooking, prepare the vegetables. Trim the asparagus spears, halve any fat spears lengthways, and roughly chop; trim the broccolini, halve any fat stems lengthways, and roughly chop; peel and halve baby carrots lengthways (if any are extra fat, quarter lengthways); trim baby leeks and roughly chop.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil.
- Heat a good drizzle of olive oil in the frying pan your sausages were cooked in, on medium to high heat. Cook leeks and garlic until just starting to caramelise, 2-3minutes, then add carrots, asparagus and broccolini and continue to cook until vegetables are just cooked through but still have a bit of bite, 2-3minutes. Add chicken/vegetable stock or white wine to hot pan halfway through cooking the vegetables to help create steam (which will help cook them more evenly). Add back sliced sausages, stir in creamand lemon juice, season to taste with salt and pepper, then turn off the heat.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente (just cooked). Drain and tip into the pan with the vegetables, sausages and sauce. Scatter over parsley and toss everything together. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Top with shaved parmesan if desired.