Sweet and sour pork stir fry
Everybody loves a good sweet and sour dish, but I usually find it’s all meat and sauce, so have added some vegetables to mine. Tossing the pork strips in the cornflour before frying gives them a crunchy coating.
|2 Tbsp||Oil, plain|
|2 Tbsp||Sesame oil|
|500 g||Pork steaks / fillets, thinly sliced|
|1 Tbsp||Cornflour, plus 2 tsp for sauce|
|½ tsp||Five spice, powder|
|1||Red onion, cut into small wedges|
|1 tsp||Crushed garlic|
|1 tsp||Crushed ginger|
|1||Yellow capsicum, sliced|
|4||Baby bok choy, sliced lengthwise|
|1 cup||Mung bean sprouts|
|1 can||Pineapple, choose pieces in light syrup or juice|
|2 Tbsp||Soy sauce|
|1 Tbsp||Sweet chilli sauce|
|2 Tbsp||Lemon juice, or vinegar|
- Heat the plain oil in a large frying pan or wok, toss the pork strips with the combined 1 tbsp cornflour, spice and salt, and coat evenly.
- Sear the pork strips for 3-4 minutes until crusted and golden, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the sesame oil to the pan and saute the onion, garlic and ginger for 2-3 minutes until fragrant and softened.
- Add capsicum and bok choy with ¼ cup water and cook for 2 minutes until wilted, add pork, sprouts and combined pineapple, soy, sweet chilli, 2 tsp cornflour and lemon juice.
- Simmer all together for 2-3 minutes until saucy and hot. Serve on white rice with prawn or cassava chips.