Greek chickpea salad with spiced haloumi and yoghurt
( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Tamara West
Haloumi is a mild, salty cheese that originates from Cyprus, and is utterly delicious when pan-fried until it is melted and gooey on the inside and slightly crisp and golden on the outside. Served with a healthy fresh salad of chickpeas and vegetables, it makes a delicious light meal. To turn it into a more substantial meal, you could add a few slices of cooked chicken or lamb. I know curry powder is not very Greek, but trust me, it goes really well with the haloumi.
- Toss cucumber, red onion, chickpeas, baby spinach, olives, sundried tomatoes, mint and oregano together.
- Mix cumin seeds and curry powder together. Dust haloumi slices in spice mixture. Heat olive oil in a fry pan (preferably non-stick) on medium heat.
- Cook spiced haloumi for 1-2 minutes each side until golden brown on the outside and soft inside.
- Dress salad with lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix the rest of the spice mix with the yoghurt.
- Divide between bowls and top with spiced haloumi and a dollop of spiced yoghurt.