Jam roly poly with custard
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|225 g||Self raising flour|
|½ cup||Water, (approximately)|
|300 g||Raspberry jam|
|1||Milk, (for glazing)|
- Preheat oven to 180C. In a large bowl, put the flour and salt. Cube the butter, add to the bowl and rub in using your fingertips until combined.
- Sprinkle over some water while continuing to mix, adding enough to produce a soft damp dough.
- Flour your hands and pat the dough into a ball on a floured bench then roll out into a rectangular shape approximately 2cm thick.
- Spread generously with jam, stopping 5cm from the edges, then roll. Transfer to a baking tray, glaze with milk and bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
- To make the custard, bring the milk and vanilla to a simmer in a heavy based saucepan. In a bowl, whisk the yolks and sugar until light, then whisk in the warm milk.
- Return to the clean saucepan and cook over a gentle heat for 10 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon until the custard coats the back of the spoon. Serve with the roly poly.