Bread and butter pudding with meringue
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Doug Sherring
I think it's a combination of a traditional British pudding and a bread and butter pudding, however this is how we knew it back in the 70s.
|1 jar||Raspberry jam|
|10||Toast bread slices, remove the crusts|
|1 tsp||Pure vanilla extract|
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- Butter 10 slices of crustless white toast bread and spread with raspberry jam. Cut these crossways into triangles.
- Layer these into a shallow baking dish, overlapping the slices and scatter half a cup of sultanas in between the slices.
- Whisk together 4 whole eggs and 3 cups of milk. Add a teaspoon of pure vanilla essence and the zest of half a lemon. Pour this over the bread and allow the bread to absorb all this mix.
- Place the filled baking dish into the oven. Cook for 15 minutes, the egg and milk mix should be set, leave a little longer if it is not.
- Carefully remove the hot dish and turn the oven up to 190C
For the meringue
- Whisk together egg whites until just firm.
- Stream in the castor sugar, with the beater still turning. Beat until smooth and glossy.
- Spread this across the top of the pudding and return to the oven. Cook until the meringue is set and a little coloured.