Chicken, dijon and tarragon pies
( SERVES 4 )
This tasty chicken filling encrusted in a flaky, buttery crust will tempt the tastebuds and warm the hands.
- Place the chicken, onion, celery, bay leaf and peppercorns in a saucepan. Add enough water to just cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken and strain the stock, reserving the vegetables.
- Simmer the stock until it has reduced to 2 cups. Preheat oven to 200C.
- Shred the chicken. Heat the butter in a pan, add the tarragon and mustard, stir. Then add the flour, stirring for a couple of minutes.
- Slowly pour in the reduced stock and cream, stirring until smooth, season.
- Add the onion, celery and chicken to the sauce. Let cool while the pastry is rolled out to fit 4x 250ml greased pie tins.
- Spoon the filling into the pastry, then cover with the lid and lightly brush with the beaten egg.
- Cut a couple of holes to allow steam to escape and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 180C and continue to cook for another 10 minutes or until golden.