Baked shiitake mushroom and baby spinach risotto
( SERVES 4 )
No more standing and stirring with this risotto recipe, as it cooks itself! We have used dried shiitake mushrooms – they can be found at most supermarkets and have a fabulously intense flavour.
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2||Garlic cloves, finely sliced|
|1½ cups||Risotto rice, or Arborio short grain rice|
|40 g||Shiitake mushrooms, dried, soak in 1 cup boiling water for 5 minutes|
|1 Ltr||Chicken stock|
|65 g||Baby spinach, leaves|
|50 g||Parmesan cheese, grated|
|1 to taste||Cracked pepper|
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- In a medium dish – about 30cm x 22cm – combine butter, oil, onion and garlic.
- Bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Add the rice and toss in the onion mixture to coat the grains in oil.
- Bake a further 2-3 minutes until the grains begin to toast.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms, their water and all of the stock, and stir well.
- Bake the risotto for 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the grains are al dente.
- Remove from the oven and fold in the baby spinach, mascarpone and parmesan cheese.
- Season to taste and serve.