( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Doug Sherring
- Rub the inside of the pot or fondue with a cut clove of garlic.
- Warm the cheese(Use Gruyere if you can or a hard cheese such as emmental that will melt easily, even a good tasty cheddar.) and wine (Riesling is traditional but a pinot gris or sauvignon blanc will work.) very gently over a low heat, stirring often.
- Once they have melted together, mix 1 tsp cornflour mixed to a paste with 1 tsp Kirsch (a German fruit brandy made with cherries, although I just used the brandy I had in the cupboard).
- This helps the mixture hold together.
- Serve this rich, warm dip with cubes of bread and offer some crisp fruit alongside.