Herb and haloumi falafels with tabouleh and tahini yoghurt
( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Tamara West
|1 can||Chickpeas, well drained|
|¼ cup||Parsley, chopped|
|¼ cup||Coriander, chopped|
|½ tsp||Ground cumin|
|½ tsp||Ground coriander|
|2½ Tbsp||Plain flour|
|50 g||Haloumi cheese, grated (optional)|
|3 Tbsp||Oil, for frying (e.g. canola, rice bran, soy bean)|
|¾ cup||Bulghur wheat, cracked|
|1||Red onion, small, finely diced|
|½ cup||Parsley, chopped|
|1||Lemon, juiced, plux extra-virgin olive oil, to dress|
- Place all ingredients, except flour, haloumi and oil, in a food processor and blitz to a thick paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in flour and grated haloumi until well combined.
- Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls and slightly flatten into little patties.
- Heat oil in a medium fry pan (preferably non-stick) on medium heat.
- Pan fry falafel patties in batches, for 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Place bulghur wheat and a good pinch of salt in a bowl and pour over boiling water to cover. Cover with a lid or plate and set aside for 10-15 minutes to swell.
- Drain off excess water and mix with onion, carrot, parsley and tomatoes.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil.
Mix yoghurt and tahini together. Season to taste with salt, pepper, lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil.