( SERVES 3 )
Photo by Tamara West
Low in fat, calories and cholesterol, Venison is jam-packed with vitamins and minerals and is one of the best dietary sources of iron.
- Place venison roast in a bowl with pepper, juniper berries, lemon zest, and a little olive oil. Rub mixture all over the roast and leave to marinate for an hour.
- In a roasting dish place red onions, beetroot, tamarillos, apple cider and cook in a 200C oven for 20 minutes until all is just tender.
- Sear the venison roast in a pan with a little olive oil and butter, until brown all over. Add venison to the vegetable dish and roast at 200C for 20-25 minutes. Leave meat to rest for 10minutes.
- Pour the vegetables into a blender, and purée until smooth. Pass through a sieve and add a little cider or water to achieve desired consistency.
- Slice meat thinly across the grain, and serve with the sauce.