Hot cross buns (with chocolate)
( MAKES 12 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Make these hot cross buns for Easter. This recipe contains chocolate, raisins, currants and mixed peel for added flavour.
|2 tsp||Active dried yeast|
|2½ cups||Plain flour|
|½ tsp||Mixed spice|
|½ tsp||Grated nutmeg|
|¼ cup||Mixed peel, finely chopped|
|100 g||Dark chocolate, roughly chopped|
- Heat the milk until boiling. Pour into a bowl and add 1 tsp of the sugar and the butter. Set aside until lukewarm. Sprinkle yeast over and leave for 15 minutes.
- Sift the flour with the salt and spices into a large bowl then stir in the remaining 2 tsp of sugar. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture.
- Mix to a soft dough, adding more flour if the mix is too sticky. Mix in the sultanas, currants, mixed peel and chocolate. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Brush a bowl with oil, add the dough, cover and leave in a warm place until double in size.
- Punch the dough down and knead lightly, then divide into 12 pieces and shape into buns. Place in a greased tray, cover and leave until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 200C. To make the crosses, mix the flour and water until smooth, spoon into a piping bag and squeeze to pipe the crosses on each bun. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and brush with the glaze made by putting the sugar, gelatine and water into a saucepan, stirring until the sugar and gelatine has dissolved.