Di Holuigue's spiced figs
- Soak the figs overnight in a litre of water mixed with 1 cup salt.
- Drain and stick a clove into each fig. Put the vinegar and 1kg of the sugar in a large saucepan, then add the cinnamon stick (broken into 3 or 4 pieces), ginger and allspice.
- Bring to the boil, then add the figs and simmer gently for an hour. Stand overnight.
- Lift out the figs and pack into 3 or 4 sterilised jars. Dissolve the remaining sugar in the liquid and boil rapidly to reduce it to a syrupy consistency.
- Pour the liquid into the jars to cover the figs and leave to stand for 1 hour to absorb the syrup. Top up as necessary. (NB: there may be leftover liquid.)
- Cover tightly with screw-top lids and allow the flavours to mature for at least a week before serving with meat or duck. Makes 3-4 x 750ml jars.
- Freedom Farms streaky bacon is ideal in this figgy salad. As it says on the label, “Goes crisp, crunchy and brown (don’t you dare undercook me)”, which seems perfect advice.