Creamy blue cheese eggplant rolls
( SERVES 4 )
Grilled summer vegetables filled with a little cheese and topped with a vibrant pesto – a delicious and healthy take on the Mediterranean diet.
- Cut the eggplant lengthways into four 2cm slices. Brush with olive oil and season with garlic salt. Cook in a large frying pan on both sides for about 8 to 10 minutes in total until lightly coloured.
- Transfer the eggplant slices to paper towels on baking sheets to cool – keep them in one layer.
- In a bowl, mash together the blue cheese, ricotta and mint. Season.
- To assemble, top the eggplant slice with a capsicum slice cut approximately the same length as the eggplant. Spread 1 Tbsp of the cheese and mint mixture on top. Gently press rocket or spinach on top. Roll up and place on a serving platter.
- Drizzle each roll with pesto.
- Use whatever pesto you have on hand in the fridge – basil pesto works as well. Thin with a little olive oil for easy drizzling.
- You do not need to salt and weight the eggplants to remove bitter juices with these modern varieties – they are user-friendly. Remember, they soak up the oil easily.
- To roast the capsicums, cut in half lengthways, deseed and brush the halves with olive oil. Season with salt and place on a baking tray. Cook for 35 to 40 minutes in a 180C oven.