Gooey salted caramel slice
Photo by Tamara West
Chewy, salty, gooey, crunchy and nutty - all these things tick my boxes. The smell of walnuts in baking is fantastic, it takes me back to the simple walnut biscuits that were always in my Grandma’s biscuit tin.
- Heat oven to 170C and line a 20 x 30cm slice tin with nonstick baking paper.
- Cream butter and sugar, add cornflour, icing sugar and flour. Mix together until it forms a ball.
- Divide the mixture in half, use one half to press it into the tin and place the other half in the fridge.
- Bake for 20 minutes until just starting to colour. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Mix salt into the caramel condensed milk and spread evenly over the cooled base. Sprinkle over the walnuts. Dice up the remaining dough and sprinkle evenly over the top.
- Return to the oven and bake for a further 20 minutes. When cool, slice into squares and store in a biscuit tin.