Old-school tomato chutney
( MAKES 3-4 small jars )
Photo by Fiona Andersen
Keep this in the fridge to bring out with cheese and bread or leftover cold meat.
- Place the tomatoes, apple, onion, raisins, vinegar, sugar, curry powder, mustard powder and salt in a medium-sized saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick — about 40 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour with a little cold water, stir into the chutney and cook a further 10 minutes.
- Cool, then pour into sterilised jars.
- To test whether the chutney is ready, press the back of a metal spoon in the mixture; if a pool of liquid forms in the spoon, cook a little more.
- As you are stirring the mixture, you can remove any large shards of tomato skin that come to the surface.
- Add a fresh chilli and remove once the chutney is cooked.