Tender puffy pancakes
( SERVES 4 )
These can be cooked ahead of time and, when you are ready, one pancake is placed on each plate, followed by a spoonful of whipped cream and a ladle of warmed strawberries. This is a voluptuous version of pikelets with jam and cream.
- Put the flour into a bowl and make a well in the middle. Add two-thirds of the milk, the egg yolks and pinches of salt and sugar. Mix gently with a whisk until smooth, then add the remaining milk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then whisk in the 20g sugar until stiff. Fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk batter.
- To make the pancakes, heat a tablespoon of clarified butter in a crêpe pan or small frying pan and spoon in a quarter of the batter. Spread it out and fry until golden brown on the bottom.
- Carefully flip over and cook until the pancake feels firm when pressed gently with your finger. Lift out onto a tray.
- Repeat to make a total of 4 medium-sized pancakes. Cover the cooled pancakes with plastic wrap until ready to serve.
To make clarified butter, gently melt standard butter in a small pot and pour off the clear golden liquid into a bowl. Discard the milky residue and use the clear liquid for frying.