Ricotta and raisin pudding
( SERVES 6 )
This recipe has been supplied by Woman's Weekly reader Jan Corkin from Levin. It featured regularly as a favourite during the 1960s before Jan left Britain to come to New Zealand. “It’s great to share recipes,” says Jan. “When it’s good, you want others to have it!”
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease an ovenproof dish about 10 cups/2.5L in size.
- Beat together the sugar, eggs, melted butter and milk.
- Fold in the sifted flour and cinnamon until just mixed. Do not over beat.
- Pour this batter mixture into the oven dish.
- Sprinkle raisins over the batter, then carefully spread on top the ricotta cheese, chopped nuts, and extra brown sugar.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes until brown and set. Check after 20 to 25 minutes.
Tips for this pudding
- You can increase the spices if desired.
- When topping the pudding with the ricotta, it’s easier to just gently dollop rather than spread it on top.Use ricotta. Don’t substitute with cottage cheese
- Serve with pouring cream, natural yoghurt or vanilla, ice cream or a combination of these
- Serve warm
- Cinnamon can be changed to ground ginger
- Nuts can be omitted
- Cooking times will vary according to the oven used and the size of pan. Check progress after 20 minutes