Basbousa (Semolina cake)
( SERVES 8 )
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC. Grease a 20x30 cm slab cake tin.
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Sift the semolina, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda twice, then fold into the butter mixture alternately with the yoghurt.
- Spread the batter into the tin. Arrange the almonds in rows on top of the cake, placing four rows across and seven down - so that when the cake is cut, an almond will be centred on each piece.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup. In a saucepan, dissolve the sugar in 375ml (1 cup) water over medium heat.
- Add the lemon juice and bring to the boil, then allow to boil rapidly for 10 minutes. Cool the syrup by standing the pan in cold water.
- Spoon the cooled syrup over the hot cake. Allow the cake to cool thoroughly.
- To serve, cut into diamond shapes or squares. Serve with thick whipped cream if desired.