Squid, fennel and potato with caesar-style dressing
( SERVES 4 )
The caesar dressing adds a savoury highlight to this salad.
|500 g||New potatoes, Perlas are good here|
|500 g||Squid tubes|
|4 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|1||Lemon, zest and juice only|
|¼||Red onion, finely sliced|
|1||Fennel bulb, finely sliced|
|1 cup||Parsley leaves|
- Put the potatoes into a saucepan of salted water, bring to the boil then cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and cut into thick slices.
- Cut the squid into large pieces and score in a criss-cross pattern. Place in a bowl with 2 Tbsp of the oil, garlic and lemon zest and mix well. Leave to marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Finely slice the onion and fennel and combine with the parsley, potato, remaining 2 Tbsp oil and lemon juice and season well.
- Drain the squid from the marinade and cook in a hot frying pan for a few seconds, until just cooked.
- Toss the squid through the salad, arrange on a platter, then spoon the dressing over the top.
- For the dressing, combine the two oils. Blend the eggs, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, anchovies and vinegar in a food processor until smooth. With the processor motor running slowly, add the oil in a thin stream until the dressing is thick. Do not add the oil too quickly or the dressing will not thicken.