Broad bean and asparagus salad
( SERVES 6 )
Toss the broad beans, asparagus and mint with the vinaigrette just before serving so you keep the vibrant colour of the spring vegetables. Alternatively, cook the asparagus on a barbecue grill until lightly charred and bite-tender. Perfect as a vegetable salad with lamb cutlets and new season's potatoes.
- Pod the broad beans and place in a saucepan of boiling salted water.
- Boil rapidly for 2 minutes, then drain and refresh under cold water.
- Remove the outer grey skin and discard, leaving only the bright green beans.
- Remove and discard the woody ends of the asparagus spears.
- Cut the spears in half crosswise and blanch in boiling salted water for 2 minutes, or until just tender.
- Place the broad beans and asparagus on paper towels to drain well.
- Whisk the mustard, oil and vinegar together and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the leaves from the mint sprigs and slice finely.
- Toss the broad beans, asparagus and mint together, moisten with the vinaigrette and serve at room temperature.