Jilly's chocolate cake
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Line a 22 cm springform cake tin with baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over hot (not boiling) water on the stove.
- Do not let the bowl touch the water. Stir until the chocolate melts.
- Wipe a bowl with a little lemon juice or vinegar, then add the egg whites.
- Beat with the salt and a third of the sugar until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat the yolks with the rest of the sugar until the mixture turns pale yellow in colour and forms a very thick foam.
- Add the yolk mix to the chocolate, then carefully fold a third of the whites into this mixture, followed by the remaining whites.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 1 hour. Allow the cake to settle by covering it with a lightly dampened cloth napkin as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- This traps the steam that rises from the cake, stopping a crisp crust from forming. The top then has a soft, smooth texture.