Raspberry and peach cake
( SERVES 8 )
This is a perfect tender-crumbed cake to make when you have bruised peaches or fruit that refuses to ripen.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line the base of a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until pale. Add the eggs one at a time (don't worry if the mixture looks curdled).
- Combine the flour and almonds and slowly add to the egg mixture. Add the vanilla.
- Halve, stone then roughly chop the peaches and incorporate them into the mix with the raspberries.
- Scrape the mixture into the tin and bake for 1 hour.
- Test with a skewer - if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked. If not, leave it to bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin.
- Slide onto a plate, dust with icing sugar and serve with either yoghurt or softly whipped cream.