Red wine lamb shanks
( SERVES 8 )
Perfect for freezing. Just pull it out, defrost and reheat while you cook some side dishes.
- Preheat oven to 180 degC.
- Dust the lamb with flour and shake off any excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over high heat.
- Cook the lamb, in batches, for 2-3 minutes each side or until browned.
- Remove from the pan and place in a large baking dish.
- Add the remaining oil, onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until browned.
- Add the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Add the stock, water, rosemary, tomato paste and sugar, stir to combine and pour over the lamb.
- Cover with foil and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
- Remove the foil and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve with mash or shred meat over pasta or in a pie filling.