Tuscan stovetop chicken
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Carolyn Robertson
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Cut chicken into 8 portions and season all over with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large heatproof casserole dish. Add oil and brown chicken pieces all over then remove to one side.
- Add onion and red peppers and cook for 5 minutes, tossing regularly. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add wine to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes then add tomatoes and return chicken pieces to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat, cover the pan and simmer very gently for 1 hour.
- Stir in the cannellini beans and cook for 10 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasoning of sauce if necessary. Serve topped with fried crumb-and-oregano mixture.
- To make fried crumbs, place breadcrumbs and second measure of oil in a small frying pan.
- Fry crumbs over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring until the crumbs turn golden brown.
- Remove to a bowl. Combine with oregano.