Pear and poppy seed tart
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Carolyn Robertson
- Place butter, maple syrup and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring until butter melts, then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Core and thinly slice the pears (leaving the skin on). Add the pear slices to the pan with the poppy seeds and lemon juice.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes until the pears are tender and the liquid has reduced to a glossy syrup. Remove to cool.
- Roll out pastry to 3mm to fit the base and slightly up the sides of a 20cm loose-bottom flan dish.
- Prick the pastry base with a fork and chill for 30 minutes. Heat oven to 200C.
- Spread pear mixture over the pastry. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden brown.
- Slice to serve.