Fettuccine with poached oysters, broad beans and lemon
( SERVES 4 )
This is probably the dish to do if you want to show off a bit. After all, I don't imagine that we all have a dozen oysters in our refrigerators just waiting to be used. Double-podding the broad beans may seem a little off-putting, but it doesn't take long and is quite satisfying.
- Remove the beans from their pods - you should end up with a good cupful.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the beans until tender - about 5 minutes.
- Drain them and rinse under cold running water before slipping off the skins. If the beans are small, they can be left unpeeled.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a rapid boil and add the pasta. Following the packet instructions, cook until tender, then drain.
- Slice the garlic finely put it in a frying pan with the oil. Cook over a low heat until soft and without colour.
- Add the cream and bring it to a simmer, then add the lemon zest and oysters. Cook until the oysters tighten slightly. Add the beans.
- Finely shred the mint leaves and add to the frying pan. Season with salt and black pepper. Add the drained pasta and mix together lightly.
- Divide the pasta between 4 individual bowls. Sprinkle some roe on top of each bowl.