Gently spiced beef salad
( SERVES 4 )
|3 Tbsp||Sweet chilli sauce|
|3 Tbsp||Fish sauce|
- Heat the barbecue grill or ridged pan. Oil the steaks, then set aside.
- Cut the chillies in half and seed. Finely slice the flesh and place in a bowl with the crushed garlic, juice of the lime, sugar, fish sauce and chilli sauce. Set aside for 30 minutes to let the ingredients get to know each other and settle down.
- Roughly chop the coriander and mint, bruising it more than cutting it, and place in a bowl. Slice the cucumber and carrot into long, matchstick-sized lengths and add to the chopped herbs. Wash the watercress, pinch the leaves and branches from the stems. Halve the tomatoes and add with the watercress to the salad.
- Place the steaks on the grill and cook until pleasantly singed on the outside and medium rare on the inside - about 6 minutes each side. Remove to a warm place to rest for 10 minutes. Slice into 2cm-thick strips and add to the salad bowl.
- Pour the dressing over, add the peanuts and toss gently. Serve while the steak is still warm. It's okay if the leaves wilt a little.