( SERVES 6 )
Cauliflower cheese is one of those familiar comforting dishes. Nutmeg is always a welcome addition to cauliflower, but I also loved the mustard that's been added to this family favourite.
Recipe supplied by Natalie Oldfield from her cookbook, Gran's Family Table.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place a large saucepan of salted water over a high temperature and bring to the boil.
- Place the whole cauliflowers (small ones are best) in the saucepan and boil for 15 minutes. Cool them under cold running water, then drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan then add the flour. Cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously. Slowly add the milk, still stirring continuously, and bring to the boil. Add the mustard, nutmeg and cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the whole cauliflowers in an ovenproof dish. Pour over the white sauce, sprinkle with extra cheese and bake for 30-40 minutes until soft and golden