Baked meringues with poached cherries and toffee popcorn
( SERVES 6 )
You can't go wrong serving meringues for a special celebration dessert. Everyone loves them.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly grease 6 ovenproof ramekins.
- Using the whisk attachment on an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and sugar until the mixture is satiny smooth with stiff peaks. Place spoonfuls of meringue into the ramekins and smooth the tops.
- Place the ramekins in a deep roasting dish and pour in enough hot water to come halfway up the sides. Cover the roasting dish with tinfoil and bake for 30 minutes until the meringues are set. Remove the ramekins from the roasting dish and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Place the cherries (pitted) in a saucepan with the water and sugar and bring to a gentle simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the cherries to cool in the syrup.
- To make the toffee popcorn, place the water and sugar in a small pan and cook until they form a golden caramel. Add the popcorn (pre cooked) and gently stir. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and pour the contents onto a baking sheet lined with non-stick greaseproof paper. Allow to cool.
- Once it's cold enough to handle, break the popcorn into small pieces. Invert the meringues onto a paper towel to absorb any excess water and then place on individual serving plates. Spoon the cherries around the meringue and sprinkle toffee popcorn around the plate.