Hainanese-style chicken with ginger pickle
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Carolyn Robertson
Ginger is the most versatile of spices - superb in baking and sensational with both meat and seafood.
- Place chicken, ginger, onion and salt in a large saucepan and cover with 2 litres of cold water.
- Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer gently, covered for 40 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave the chicken to finish cooking in the residual heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and use 1 litre of the stock to cook the rice. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Rub the sesame oil into the skin of the chicken.
- Chop the chicken portions into pieces and arrange on top of some rice, sprinkle with chopped chilli, coriander and spring onion.
- Serve the ginger pickle on the side. Serve the remaining stock in bowls as a soup.