Fragrant lemongrass chicken with chilli and pineapple salsa
( SERVES 4 )
This dish is a great standby - it's possible to be eating this meal within 30 minutes of thinking about it. Now, that's fast!
|600 g||Boneless chicken thighs|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh ginger|
|2 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Put the chicken, garlic, grated ginger, juice of a lemon, finely chopped stalks of lemongrass, large chilli (seeded and finely chopped) and sliced onion in a bowl and stir to combine, ensuring the chicken is well coated.
- Cover and set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan until almost smoking. Add the chicken, then cook for 3-4 minutes until it is golden on one side.
- Add the brown sugar (or use ¼ cup of grated palm sugar), reduce the heat and cook for 1-2 minutes to allow the sugar to caramelise - you may need to stir to loosen the chicken from the pan.
- Add the water, salt and pepper and cook for a further 7-10 minutes on a slow simmer.
- Meanwhile, cube the pineapple, very finely slice the kaffir lime leaves and deseed and finely slice the chilli and place the salsa ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. It makes about 1 cup.
- Serve the chicken with salsa and a side of sticky or long-grain rice.