Janny's agar-agar jelly and lychees
( SERVES 20 )
Delicate little agar-agar jellies are perfect served with Asian fruits.
- Put the water and sugar into a large saucepan and sprinkle on the agar-agar powder.
- Stir over a gentle heat until the mixture comes to the boil. Immediately lower the heat and simmer very gently for 15-20 minutes.
- The liquid should shimmer, rather than bubble. Add the evaporated milk and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Add the almond essence.
- If you wish, add a few drops of food colouring. If you want several different colours, divide the liquid between measuring jugs and colour each one separately.
- While the liquid is still hot, pour it into moulds. Set aside until cold. To unmould, run the tip of a sharp knife around the edge of the jelly. Tip upside down and turn out.
- You may need to help the jelly to drop out by squeezing the mould or by pressing a small flexible spatula along one edge of the jelly until it loosens. You do not need to dip the moulds into hot water.
- Serve individual jellies in little bowls with a lychee and a spoonful of syrup from the can. Or unmould a large jelly into a serving bowl and surround it with the lychees and syrup.