Vermicelli with pork belly, gai larn, cashews and chilli
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Either prepare the pork yourself or buy it from an Asian grocer. To prepare it yourself, score the skin with a very sharp knife.
- Boil a large pot of water then blanch the pork for 4 minutes. Remove and let dry.
- Mix the finely diced garlic and soy together and rub on the underside of the pork. Rub the salt into the skin.
- Preheat the oven to 250C. Sit the pork on a rack in a baking dish with the skin side up. Roast for 20 minutes then reduce the temperature to 200C. Cook for a further 30 minutes. Let cool then slice.
- Put the vermicelli and gai larn into a large bowl. Pour over enough boiling water to cover. Leave for 10 minutes then drain.
- Combine the sesame, stock, sugar and wine (shao hsing). Simmer together for 5 minutes.
- Place the noodles and greens into bowls. Add slices of pork, spoon over the sauce then add enough cashews, chilli and spring onion to taste.