Lemon custards with lavender shortbread
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|25 g||Icing sugar|
|1 cup||Standard flour|
|125 g||Butter, cut into small cubes|
|1 to decorate||Dried lavender|
- To make the shortbread, sieve the dry ingredients together. Using your fingertips, rub in the butter then knead very lightly to form a soft, smooth dough.
- Preheat oven to 150C. Cut into rounds and place on a greased or lined baking tray. Sprinkle with lavender and press lightly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until light golden. Carefully remove to a rack to cool.
- To make the custards, dissolve the gelatine in 2 Tbsp of boiling water.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale. Bring milk to boiling point then remove from heat and whisk into the eggs.
- Return the mixture to a heavy based saucepan and heat gently while stirring with a wooden spoon until the custard begins to thicken. Remove from the heat and fold in the lemon, gelatine and cream. Spoon into ramekins and refrigerate for 2 hours. Serve with the shortbread.