Crab cakes with gherkin, caper and herb mayonnaise sauce
( SERVES 6 )
This recipe is for an American-style crab cake that is creamily extravagant, rich and satisfying. Use a combination of yellow and red capsicums if you want a more colourful mixture.
|1 Tbsp||Vegetable oil|
|100 g||Ground almonds|
|1 pinch||Cayenne pepper|
|2 Tbsp||Chives, chopped|
|2 tsp||Olive oil|
|1||Red capsicum, finely diced|
|1||Red chilli, seeded and chopped|
|1||Red onion, small, finely chopped|
|200 g||Fish fillets, bones removed|
|2 Tbsp||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley, chopped|
|200 g||Crabmeat, cooked|
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan, then lightly cook the capsicum and onion until soft. Add the cream and chilli, bring to a quick simmer, then turn off the heat and let the mixture cool completely. Stir in the herbs and season with the salt and cayenne pepper, then gently whisk in the egg.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and almonds in a bowl, then add half the mixture to the cream mixture. Put the other half aside.
- Put the fish into a food processor, then purée it until smooth. Add the crabmeat and the cream mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Shape into flat cakes 4-5cm in diameter and 1-2cm thick, then lightly coat them in the remaining breadcrumb and almond mixture.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat, then fry the cakes in shallow oil for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove the cakes from the pan and serve with the gherkin, caper and herb mayonnaise, or lemon halves.