Best-ever bacon & egg pie
- Cook the potatoes.
- Pierce the potatoes and cook in a microwave on high power for 10 minutes or until softened (they do not have to be completely cooked because they will cook more in the oven).
- Alternatively, cut them into even-sized pieces and boil for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Prepare the pastry: Line your dish with pastry.
- Trim the edges and/or the sheets of pastry to make it cover a 20 x 30cm dish about 1cm below the top. Save the leftover pastry for the top.
- Assemble: Remove the fat from the bacon and slice into strips. Cut the cooked potatoes into chunks.
- Place the potatoes, bacon, tomatoes and peas into your baking dish. Break in the eggs, spacing them evenly around the pie.
- Pierce the yolks with a knife. Cut the leftover pastry into strips 1 cm wide. Make a lattice pattern across the top.
- You can be rough - don't worry, it'll look okay when it's cooked!
- Bake at 180 degC for 40-50 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the pie is set.
- You will know that it is not cooked if, when you lift up a corner of the dish, there are still runny juices.