Hearty Moroccan lamb shanks
( SERVES 4 )
|4||Lamb shanks, one each|
|1 to taste||Freshly ground black pepper|
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Soffritto mix, see recipe on foodhub|
|1 tsp||Ground coriander|
|1 can||Chopped tomatoes|
|2 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 Tbsp||Harissa paste|
|500 ml||Lamb stock|
|1 cm||Fresh ginger, grated|
|100 g||Dried apricots, halved|
|100 g||Pitted prunes|
- Preheat oven to 160 degC.
- Place lamb shanks in a plastic bag with the flour, salt and pepper, then shake to coat.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan. Brown the lamb shanks on all sides and set aside.
- Make the soffritto in a large, heavy-based casserole dish.
- Stir in the cumin, coriander, harissa paste, water, stock, tomatoes, cinnamon stick and ginger.
- Add browned lamb shanks and cover.
- Cook in the pre-heated oven for three to hour hours, or until almost falling off the bone.
- Half an hour before serving, stir in the apricots and prunes. Serve over mash.