Spanish tortilla with basil pesto
( SERVES 4 )
Turn leftover potatoes into this simple, delicious meal.
|2 Tbsp||Fresh chives|
|1 tsp||Iodised salt|
|1 to taste||Ground black pepper|
To prepare Spanish Tortilla:
- Cut potatoes into small cubes. Place in a bowl. Wash tomato and chop finely. Crush garlic, then peel and chop finely. Add to potatoes. Beat eggs. Add chives, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture into potato mixture and gently combine. Pour into a hot, greased 28cm frying pan. Cook over a medium heat, with the lid on, for five minutes or until set.
- Remove lid and cook a further minute. Remove from heat. Cut tortilla into wedges. Serve with basil pesto.
To prepare Basil Pesto:
- Crush garlic and peel. Place garlic in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Add basil leaves, walnuts or almonds and cheese. Process to combine.
- Add enough oil and process to a coarse paste.
Tip: Pesto traditionally has pine nuts as an ingredient. These are quite expensive so we have used other nuts.