Spiced scrolls with coconut-chocolate filling
|1 Tbsp||Yeast granules|
|¼ cup||Brown sugar|
|3½ cups||Self raising flour|
|2 tsp||Mixed spice|
|2 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|1 cup||Chocolate chips|
- Mix sugar, water and yeast together in a small bowl. Leave for approximately 10 minutes until frothy. Heat milk, brown sugar, butter and salt together until butter melts. Cool.
- Add milk mixture to yeast mixture. Sift over one cup of flour and combine well. Cover and set aside in a warm place until batter bubbles. Beat egg and stir into batter mixture with remaining flour, mixed spice and cinnamon. Combine well.
- Turn out on to a lightly floured board and knead until smooth. Place in a greased bowl. Cover and set aside in a warm place until double in bulk. Punch down dough and knead lightly.
- Roll dough out to a 60 x 35cm rectangle and spread coconut filling over dough. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and roll up dough from the long side to form a roll.
- Line the base of a 30 x 23cm baking dish with baking paper. Cut dough into 4cm pieces and place in baking dish. Stand for 10 minutes. Brush tops of scrolls with butter.
- Bake at 190 degrees C for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in tin for 10 minutes. Drizzle with vanilla icing.
To prepare Coconut filling:
- Mix coconut and condensed milk together.
To prepare Vanilla Icing:
- Mix icing sugar and vanilla essence with water to make a smooth icing.