Smoked Salmon & Broad Bean Loaf
( SERVES 4 )
Ready in 1 hour 15 mins, serves 4 200g frozen broad beans200g flour, or approx 1½ cups flour2 tsp baking powder½ tsp smoked paprikaFreshly ground black pepper3 large eggs100g melted butter,
- Heat oven to 180 degC. Line a 1.4 litre loaf tin with baking paper.
- Blanch the broad beans in salted boiling water. Drain and refresh under cold water. Peel and remove skins, then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, smoked paprika and pepper.
- Beat the eggs with slightly cooled melted butter and milk. Pour into dry ingredients. Mix well. Break smoked salmon into pieces, then stir into mixture.
- Add broad beans and 100g grated gruyere cheese, stir together. Transfer mixture to tin, then sprinkle remaining cheese and chopped spring onions on top.
- Bake for 45 mins. Leave to cool then turn out onto a wire rack. Slice and serve with a green salad, dressing, and lemon juice.
Cook's tip: Broad beans are a spring favourite, but the easiest way to enjoy them is by buying frozen. If you don't have hot smoked salmon you could substitute with drained canned salmon.