Lamb and pumpkin curry with spiced coconut
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
|2 Tbsp||Vegetable oil|
|600 g||Lamb, diced|
|2||Onions, finely chopped|
|3 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|10 cm||Fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated|
|1||Red chilli, seeds removed, chopped|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 tsp||Curry powder|
|1 tsp||Ground turmeric|
|2 tsp||Brown sugar|
|2 cups||Vegetable stock|
|¼ cup||Natural yoghurt|
- Heat oil in a large pan and fry lamb until brown (best done in batches). Remove to a bowl.
- Add onion to the pan and fry, stirring, for 3-5 minutes, then stir in the garlic, ginger, chilli, cumin, cinnamon, curry powder, turmeric and brown sugar. Stir to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Return lamb to pan, add vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 1 hour.
- Peel pumpkin and cut into 2cm pieces. Add to lamb with salt and cook, covered, for a further 30 minutes. Stir yoghurt through just before serving.
- Cook the spiced coconut ingredients in a frying pan, stirring continuously until golden. Sprinkle on top of lamb to serve.