This is not a traditional chow chow recipe, as the vegetables are not overcooked so you will have great texture in the jar. Ready in 45 mins, plus overnight standing time, makes 7 cups.
- Place prepared vegetables in a large pot and cover with salt and water.
- Let it stand overnight. The next day, heat slowly to boiling point and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain well and dry all the vegetables thoroughly on paper towels.
- Using the same pot, combine sugar, flour, turmeric, chilli, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, ground coriander and lemon pepper.
- Mix to a paste using ¼ cup of vinegar. Add the remaining vinegar and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, then add vegetables and kernel corn.
- Stir constantly and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. You just want the vegetables well coated.
- Pour into hot, clean jars and seal.
Add 150g lite sour cream to ½ cup chow chow and 3 Tbsp chopped spring onions. Toss the mixture through boiled new potatoes.