Baby Angel Food Cakes
( SERVES 6 )
With their baby-pink icing, these delicate angel food cakes are as pretty as a picture.
|½ tsp||Cream of tartar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|1 cup||Caster sugar|
|2 Tbsp||Caster sugar|
- Heat oven to 190 degC. Place egg whites, salt and cream of tartar in a bowl, then whisk with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Beat in the vanilla.
- Add the sugar gradually, a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until the mixture is thick and glossy. Sift flour over the mixture and fold in until amalgamated.
- Spoon mixture into six, ungreased one-cup-capacity cake or muffin tins. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cakes are golden brown, firm and coming away from the sides of the tins.
- Cool in tins, then carefully remove (you may need to gently remove the cakes from the side of the tins with the end of a blunt knife). Drizzle cakes with pink icing and serve.
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl to remove lumps. Stir in juice of a lemon, food colouring and just enough boiling water to form a smooth, pale-pink icing of a pourable consistency.