Plum crumble cake
Makes 1 cake 120g butter, softened ¾ cup caster sugar 1 tsp vanilla essence 2 large eggs 1 1/3 cups flour Pinch of salt 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda 2/3 cup sour cream 250g (12 small)
|120 g||Butter, softened|
|¾ cup||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|⅓ cup||Sour cream|
|250 g||Plums, (12 small), diced with stones removed|
- Heat oven to 180 degC (160 degC fan bake). Grease and dust with flour a 22cm ring tin. In a bowl, beat butter and sugar together until pale and creamy.
- Beat in vanilla and eggs, one at a time.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together in a bowl. Stir half the flour mixture into the creamed butter and sugar.
- Stir in the sour cream, then stir in the remaining sifted flour. Finally, gently fold in the plums.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, make the crumble mixture by placing brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter in a bowl.
- Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the chopped walnuts.
- After 25 minutes, remove the cake from the oven and sprinkle with the crumble mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in tin on a wire rack for 1 hour, then remove cake from mould. Slice to serve.