Pineapple upside-down cake
- Heat oven to 160C fan bake. Grease a 20cm ring cake tin. Sprinkle brown sugar over the base of the tin and drizzle with the melted butter.
- Drain the pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup of the juice. Cut pineapple rings in half and neatly arrange to cover the base of the tin.
- Place the second measure of butter and the caster sugar in a bowl and beat until pale and creamy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in lemon zest and coconut essence, then fold in sifted flour alternately with the reserved pineapple juice.
- Spoon this mixture over the pineapple, then smooth the surface. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes before carefully inverting on to a plate to leave the pineapple topping intact.