Junior-friendly pasta with easy sauce
( SERVES 4 )
This is a quick and easy meal, great for kids. For picky eaters, try serving this meat sauce over quirkily shaped pasta and take out the chilli if you think this could be a problem.
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|400 g||Pasta shapes, (shells)|
|1 cup||Onion, chopped|
|2 tsp||Minced garlic|
|500 g||Mince, lean|
|1||Red chilli, fresh, wash, seeds removed and chopped|
|2 tsp||Dried oregano|
|1 to taste||Pepper|
|6 Tbsp||Tomato paste|
|810 g||Diced tomatoes, 2x cans undrained|
|½ cup||Parmesan cheese|
|1 Tbsp||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley, chopped|
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain.
- While pasta cooks, heat a large fry-pan over medium-high heat. Pour in olive oil and allow to heat.
- Add onion and garlic, then cook until translucent and add beef, oregano, chilli, salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring to crumble.
- Stir in tomato paste. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low, then cook for 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve over pasta. Top with cheese and parsley, then season to taste.