Star anise and cardamom custard
I love desserts and am often found scrutinising the dessert menu at a restaurant before anything else. That's why I wanted to share some delicious, creamy custards from my childhood.
- Preheat oven to 150 degC. Heat cream and milk with cardamom and star anise. Leave to stand for 20 minutes. Reheat the mixture till almost boiling.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar until well combined and pale. Add cream slowly to egg mixture, stirring constantly. Strain through a fine sieve into a jug and then pour into four greased ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a large roasting tray and pour in enough hot water to come halfway up their sides.
- Place on the centre shelf of the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the custards are just set and still a bit wobbly in the middle.
- Peel pineapple, remove core and cut into half rounds about 2cm thick. Toss pineapple slices in brown sugar to coat. Heat butter in frying pan and cook pineapple until golden.
- Serve custards with warm caramelised pineapple.