- Preheat oven to 200 degC. Place gem irons in the oven to heat. Melt the butter and golden syrup together until warm.
- Sieve the flour, baking soda, ginger and salt into a bowl. Add the sugar and stir until blended.
- Beat egg and milk together in a separate bowl and add to the dry ingredients with the butter and syrup. Mix until combined.
- Lift the gem irons from the oven and carefully grease with butter. Place large spoonfuls of mixture into gem irons and sprinkle with chopped ginger.
- Bake for 12 minutes until gems are springy to touch. Allow to cool on a wire rack.