Sponge with gooseberry and elderflower filling and cream
( SERVES 10 )
|2 Tbsp||Water, boiling|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|1 tsp||Baking powder, heaped|
|2 cups||Whipped cream|
|1 sprinkle||Icing sugar, for dusting cake|
Gooseberry and elderflower filling
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan bake and prepare 2 x 23cm cake tins by spraying with cooking spray, flouring and then lining the base with baking paper.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Add sugar gradually, then the vanilla and boiling water. Beat again, then add egg yolks and beat until thick and creamy.
- Fold in sifted dry ingredients. Place in both cake tins. Bake for 30 minutes. While it’s baking make the filling – step 5.
- When you remove from the oven, drop the tin onto the bench from a height of 25-30cm.
- Leave for 10 minutes before turning out. Spread with gooseberry filling and whipped cream to serve. Dust lightly with icing sugar.
- For the filling, place the gooseberries in a microwave container and cover and cook for 8-10 minutes till soft.
- Add sugar and elderflower cordial and stir well.
- Mix the custard powder with the water, add to the hot fruit, and cover and return to the microwave for 2-3 minutes. Make the filling the consistency of thick stewed apples.
Cook's tip: Add extra sugar if desired. Cooking times with microwaves will vary, but you want the fruit softened before you add the sugar.